Sunday, September 30, 2012

Diamond Willow by Helen Frost

Diamond Willow is written in verse, a novel told in a series of poems.  Diamond is a 12-year-old Athabascan girl in Alaska.  She loves her family's sled dogs and wants to drive the team to her grandparents' house.

When I was in 4th grade, I had to write a persuasive letter for school, and I wrote to my parents why I should be able to ride my bike to the public library.  Diamond presented to her parents why she should be able to take the dog sled to her grandparents', and just like I got to ride my bike to the library, Diamond was also persuasive enough.  Unfortunately, on that trip Roxy, the beloved lead dog is permanently injured.   Diamond must now come up with a plan to save Roxy.  The spirits of her ancestors look over her along the entire journey.

Author/Poet Helen Frost's website includes additional resources, including a picture of a diamond willow stick.

Click here to rate the book after you read it.

The Poetry for Children blog has a book trailer for Diamond Willow.


1 comment:

  1. I read this whole book in 1 day i think. I feel like this is a good book for kids who are new or early readers. Willow is a kid who does not have very many friends and she loves dog sledding. Her parents decide she can go to her grandparents house alone. On the way back Roxy (lead dog) runs into a log and gets blinded! I think if you want to see the rest of the story. I recommend you read the book! GREAT BOOK!!!!

    ReplyDelete